April 7 – April 17 , 2014: New York, Atlanta, Chicago, and San Francisco
Arab, Jewish, and Palestinian youth compete without referees and thrive!
A dynamic multicultural group of young leaders from the Middle East told their stories of friendship and personal growth on a 4-city tour this spring. Speaking in New York, Atlanta, Chicago, and San Francisco from April 7th – 17th, the teens described how the player-controlled sport of Ultimate Frisbee, and the program, Ultimate Peace, have changed their lives.
The Program: Ultimate Peace (UP) builds bridges of friendship and understanding among Arabs and Jews from Israel and Palestinians living in the West Bank, using the character building team sport of Ultimate Frisbee (Ultimate) as context. One of the fastest growing games in the world, Ultimate prioritizes sportsmanship and does not use referees. UP teaches its diverse participants to play on the same team and settle all on field differences by themselves. The program then supports youth to apply these valuable gains off the field.
Grooming Future Leaders: For the last three years, a dedicated group of UP teen participants have engaged in the year-round “Coaches in Training” Program. This youth leadership project prepares high school students for coaching in Ultimate Peace and assuming other leadership roles in their communities. On their US Tour, these courageous youth will present to and dialogue with American students and adults in schools, community centers and homes across the country. Their triumphs and struggles in the program and the complexities of their daily lives will be highlighted.
Tour Events: The USA tour offered the unique chance for Americans to meet and interact with a highly compelling group of teens. Their message is grounded in hope, yet colored by the sobering reality of the regional conflict, so the events in each city were interactive, moving, and thought provoking.
April 9th, New York (Wednesday)
- Morning: Panels and discussions with students at the Heschel School.
- Evening: Panel, TED talk, and presentation open to the community at large. (RSVP required)
April 10th, New York/Atlanta (Thursday)
- Afternoon: Practice with local college teams at Emory University.
- Evening: Fundraising dinner.
April 11th, Atlanta (Friday)
- Morning: Visit Paideia School, panels and discussions.
- Afternoon: Touring.
April 12, Atlanta (Saturday)
- Morning: Tournament!
- Evening: Annual Atlanta UP Wine Party Fundraiser.
April 13, Atlanta (Sunday)
- Morning: Girls – Tournament!
- Evening: CIT Pizza Dinner – Last night we are all together.
April 15th, (Tuesday) Chicago and SF
- An Interview on Fox Chicago Midday News.
- An Interview on NPR Chicago WBEZ.
- Evening: Chicago Ultimate Community event.
April 16th, (Wednesday) Chicago and SF
- Morning: All-school presentation at North Shore Country Day School.
- Afternoon: Ultimate coaching/games/presentations at North Shore Congregation Israel.
- Evening: Presentation, panel and dessert to the community. (RSVP)
- Donor Evening
April 17th, (Thursday) Chicago and SF
- Afternoon: Shopping and relaxing, Disc Golf.
- Evening: Fly home.
- Morning: Last minute shopping and relaxing.
- Afternoon: Fly home.
From the 2013 Tour.